There are some types of positions that have fluctuating populations of employees in a similar job function with headcount rotating frequently. Instead of planning for individuals, the Create and Manage HCP Pooled Positions form allow planners to budget compensation expenses for a group of employees using a single position per DeptID - Fund - Chart1 intersection.
There are different categories of pooled positions, each with special considerations.
- Students may be eligible for fee remission based on the percentage of time worked.
- GSR – Resident
- GSR – Non-Resident
- Reader/Tutor – Student
- Non-Ladder Ranked Faculty and other employees may have some employees that are eligible for one benefit rate group, e.g. full and others in a different benefit rate group, e.g. no benefit eligibility.
- Adjunct Professors
- Visiting Professors
- Reader/Tutor – Non-Student
- Summer Salary
- Teacher – UNEX
- Per Diem
Create and Manage HCP Pooled Positions
In this form, you use the Plan Pooled tab to enter the total salary for a pooled position by month for each unique combination of:
- Dept ID
- Account used to calculate benefits
- Chart 1
The rest of the tabs on the form calculate salary expense, benefits, and total compensation; they are read-only.
Multiple Benefit Rates for a Pooled Position
If you have employees in a pooled position that receive different benefits, e.g. full benefits and limited benefits, you will need to enter the salary for each type of benefit on a separate line so that HCP can accurately calculate the benefits and total compensation. This Dept ID will be used to pay some lecturers that receive full benefits and others that receive limited benefits. The screen shot below shows two intersections for the lecturers, one for each benefit rate. The following section, Add an Intersection, describes the procedure to add an intersection when needed.
Add an Intersection
Occasionally, you will need to add an intersection to create a unique combination of Pooled Position, Dept ID, Account, Fund, and Chart 1 that does not already exist.
1. From the Plan Pooled tab, right-click on the Dept ID to which you want to add the position. If there are no pooled positions in the Dept ID, click on any Dept ID; you can change the Dept ID in the dialog box.
2. Select Manage Pooled Position \ Add Pooled Position from the quick menu.
3. The Runtime Prompts – Add Pooled Position Distribution dialog box is populated with the values from the row where you initiated the transaction. Change whatever is needed and be sure to make an entry in all required prompts (indicated with *).
4. Click Launch.
5. Click OK to acknowledge the newly created pooled position distribution. Now you can enter plan data for this intersection.
When you add a pooled position for which fee remission is applicable, you will need to add that position on the Fee Remission task as well. Fee Remission is covered in the next chapter.