Budgeting for Experienced CalPlanning Users
For FY22 planning, there are some important changes in CalPlanning as well as some exciting enhancements.
- CalPlanning System Upgrade (new browser requirements, reset defaults)
- Data Seeded in the FY22 Operating Budget
- Human Capital Planning (HCP) Enhancements
- Employee Roster in HCP
- Review HCM Data to Add to Plan
- CalPlanning and Smart View Training Resources
- New Course: Smart View for Planning
The CalPlanning server and infrastructure were upgraded in July 2021 to improve performance, reliability, and compatibility.
Some first-time setup is required for all users. The CalPlanning Upgrade job aid has step-by-step instructions with screenshots to walk you through the process. Here are the highlights:
- Campus VPN network requirements: when you are away from campus, you must connect with Global Protect (bSecure Remote Access VPN) or access CalPlanning from the Citrix remote desktop
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer is no longer supported. You must use a current version of Chrome or Firefox. Windows users may also connect with the Microsoft Edge browser. You must enable or allow popups the first time you connect each browser.
- Default settings: set default application to open and default entity (org) for planning in both CalPlan and HCP
The table below shows operating transfers by account and data source.
71110 General Allocation
|FY21 May Permbudg|
71290 OP Allocations
|Permbudg and Commitments database|
A712XX General Allocation
|Commitments database is loaded to FY22 Sep, Dec, Mar, May, Jun. Visible in Intersection Detail report|
|Will be populated with this year's Form A submissions, which are due in July|
Data from the FY21 Forecast Planner Submission snapshot taken on May 24, 2021is used to seed CalPlan:
- Monthly data is used for Revenue, Non-Comp Expenses, and Changes in Fund Balance.
- FY21 Ending Balance is used for FY22 Beginning Balance.
Cell comments from FY21 have been copied to FY22. We recommend you edit these comments as appropriate.
Intersection Detail Reports have been updated with the most recent commitments data available for the FY22 Operating Budget. Please contact your DFL for questions about Intersection Detail Reports.
The table below shows the source of data copied to each of the data entry forms in Human Capital Planning (HCP), and indicates whether or not the FY21 data includes a 3% increase in FY22.
|Form||Periods||Copied From||3% increase|
|Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes||All||
FY21 Jun Forecast for Monthly Pay Rate and Distributions
|Create and Managed Pooled Positions||
FY21 Operating Budget Final
FY21 Forecast Planner Submission
|Create and Manage Fee Remission||Jul-Feb
FY21 Operating Budget Final
FY21 Forecast Planner Submission
|Dept ID Comp Adjustments||N/A||Not copied||N/A|
Composite Benefit Rates on Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes Task
- The Composite Benefit Rates tab on the Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes task shows the rates for the current year forecast and future year operating budget that are calculated on the Benefits tab.
Create and Manage Pooled Positions
- The Create and Manage Pooled Positions form has been simplified so that you simply enter the plan amount for the pooled position in the Plan Pooled tab. In the past, planners had to enter an average monthly pay rate on one tab and the number of FTE on another tab. Now you simply enter the total amount for the pooled position in the Plan Pooled tab for each unique intersection of Pooled Position, Dept ID, Fund and Chart 1.
- If you have a pooled position where some workers have one type of benefits such as full and others have another type such as limited, you’ll need a separate intersection row for each benefit account.
- To create a new intersection, right-click on a row that is close to what you need and select Manage Pooled Position \ Add Pooled Position from the quick menu. This is the same as how it has functioned in the past.
- Job Aid: Navigating Human Capital Planning (HCP): Pooled Positions
Create and Manage Fee Remission
- Fee Remission now has its own task: Create and Manage Fee Remission. The Task Instructions tab describes how to use this form. You can move between the task and the task instructions as needed.
- As a planner, you have a choice of how to enter your budget for fee remission in HCP. You can enter either the:
- Total amount you plan for fee remission, or
- Number of headcount and have HCP multiply that by the fee remission rate
- As always, you plan for fee remission for each unique pooled position, Dept ID, Fund, and Chart 1
- Job Aid: Navigating Human Capital Planning (HCP): Fee Remission
Learn to Plan for Pooled Positions and Fee Remission
- Listed as a To Be Hired employee
- In your designated suspense allocation org
Convert a To Be Hired to an Existing Employee
Once an employee has an Employee ID, you can convert the TBH to an employee in HCP.
- In the Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes task, right-click and select Manage TBH.
- Select Add TBH and complete the prompts.
- Right-click on the newly created intersection and select Add TBH Distributions.
Employee Payroll in Suspense
- Dashboard / Report: General Ledger Reporting / Compensation by Accounting Period or Financial Management Reporting / Compensation Expenses
- Fund = 69995
- DeptID = designated suspense allocation org for your L3-Division
- Data from UCPath Human Capital Management (HCM) is available to copy into your plans
- Self-study course materials describe the concepts and have step-by-step exercises for you to practice reporting, using CalPlan and HCP to enter plan data, Smart View Ad Hoc for CalRptg, and a new course: Smart View for Planning. You can find the links to the self-study materials on the Training page for each course:
- New Course: Smart View for Planning shows you how to enter your plan data using the CalPlan and HCP forms in an Excel interface.
- Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Sign up for a session and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support.
Designed for CalPlanning users who are experienced with the web interface of CalPlan, Smart View for Planning introduces the Excel interface of Smart View for the CalPlan and HCP applications. This will allow you to enter your budget and forecast data from Excel directly into the CalPlan and HCP forms.
Key benefits of the Smart View Excel interface:
- Manage viewing data with Excel functionality: adjust column width, hide/unhide columns, zoom in/out, freeze panes
- Easy data entry: copy/paste, formulas to lookup values from other Excel sheets
- Add supporting calculations and documentation to the right of or below the form
- Share form data with colleagues for review, make updates in Excel and then load those changes to CalPlanning (CalPlan or HCP)
This blended learning course has 2 hours of self-study material that you complete prior to participating in a 1 hour group learning session. Enroll in a class.