Budgeting for Experienced CalPlanning Users
For FY22 planning, there are some exciting enhancements to HCP pooled position and fee remission planning, and the functionality to review and selectively copy HCM data to your plan is available. Our training resources have expanded to include self-study content that is always available and a new course, Smart View for Planning.
Composite Benefit Rates on Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes Task
- The Composite Benefit Rates tab on the Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes task shows the rates for the current year forecast and future year operating budget that are calculated on the Benefits tab.
Create and Manage Pooled Positions
- The Create and Manage Pooled Positions form has been simplified so that you simply enter the plan amount for the pooled position in the Plan Pooled tab. In the past, planners had to enter an average monthly pay rate on one tab and the number of FTE on another tab. Now you simply enter the total amount for the pooled position in the Plan Pooled tab for each unique intersection of Pooled Position, Dept ID, Fund and Chart 1.
- If you have a pooled position where some workers have one type of benefits such as full and others have another type such as limited, you’ll need a separate intersection row for each benefit account.
- To create a new intersection, right-click on a row that is close to what you need and select Manage Pooled Position \ Add Pooled Position from the quick menu. This is the same as how it has functioned in the past.
Create and Manage Fee Remission
- Fee Remission now has its own task: Create and Manage Fee Remission.
- As a planner, you have a choice of how to enter your budget for fee remission in HCP. You can enter either the:
- Total amount you plan for fee remission, or
- Number of headcount and have HCP multiply that by the fee remission rate
- As always, you plan for fee remission for each unique pooled position, Dept ID, Fund, and Chart 1
Learn to Plan for Pooled Positions and Fee Remission
- Beginning [TBD], data from UCPath Human Capital Management (HCM) is available to copy into your plans
Video: Review HCM Data to Add to Plan
- Self-study course materials describe the concepts and have step-by-step exercises for you to practice reporting, using CalPlan and HCP to enter plan data, Smart View Ad Hoc for CalRptg, and a new course: Smart View for Planning. You can find the links to the self-study materials on the Training page for each course:
- New Course: Smart View for Planning shows you how to enter your plan data using the CalPlan and HCP forms in an Excel interface.
- Office Hours are regularly scheduled opportunities for you to ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Sign up to let us know what you need help with and to receive the link to the Zoom session.
Designed for CalPlanning users who are experienced with the web interface of CalPlan, Smart View for Planning introduces the Excel interface of Smart View for the CalPlan and HCP applications. This will allow you to enter your budget and forecast data from Excel directly into the CalPlan and HCP forms.
Key benefits of the Smart View Excel interface:
- Manage viewing data with Excel functionality: adjust column width, hide/unhide columns, zoom in/out, freeze panes
- Easy data entry: copy/paste, formulas to lookup values from other Excel sheets
- Add supporting calculations and documentation to the right of or below the form
- Share form data with colleagues for review, make updates in Excel and then load those changes to CalPlanning (CalPlan or HCP)
This blended learning course has 2 hours of self-study material that you complete prior to participating in a 1 hour group learning session. Enroll in a class.