Budgeting for Experienced CalPlanning Users
We have three live sessions scheduled on Zoom. The first session is also available in person.
- In-person at Dwinelle 117 and via Zoom on Thursday, April 13, 2-3 pm | Add to calendar
- On Zoom Tuesday, April 18, 12-1 pm | Add to calendar
- On Zoom Tuesday, April 25, 12-1 pm | Add to calendar
Download the Presentation
FY24 CalPlanning Refresher.pptx has the slides
FY24 CalPlanning Refresher Transcript.docx has the presenter's comments
FY24 Budget Planning Topics
For FY24 planning, there are some important changes in CalPlanning as well as some exciting enhancements.
- FY24 Budget Process Key Dates
- CalPlanning Upgrade
- Recommended Org Level Settings
- Composite Benefit Rates
- HCP FY23 Forecast Copied to FY24 Operating Budget
- Review HCM Data to Add to Plan
- HCP Job Aids
- NEW: HCP Compensation Drill Through
- Week of April 10, 2023: CalPlan and HCP available with FY24 Operating Budget updated with planning data and FY23 Forecast Working version updated with February actual data
- April 10, 2023: Form A due (for divisions with ladder-rank faculty)
- May 31, 2023: All budget information due in CalPlanning
- FY23 Forecast Updates
- FY24 Operating Budget
- FY25-26 in Multiyear Budget Template
- Use of Reserves in Multiyear Budget Template
CalPlanning Server and Infrastructure Upgrade
The CalPlanning server and infrastructure were upgraded in July 2021 to improve performance, reliability, and compatibility.
Some first-time setup is required for all users. The CalPlanning Upgrade job aid has step-by-step instructions with screenshots to walk you through the process. Here are the highlights:
- Campus VPN network requirements: when you are away from campus, you must connect with Global Protect (bSecure Remote Access VPN) or access CalPlanning from the Citrix remote desktop
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer is no longer supported. You must use a current version of Chrome or Firefox. Windows users may also connect with the Microsoft Edge browser. You must enable or allow popups the first time you connect each browser.
- Default settings: set default application to open and default entity (org) for planning in both CalPlan and HCP
We request that you work with an organization at level 5, 6, or 7, which is the Dept ID to ensure that you and other users have optimal performance. The amount of data present at an L4 Department or L3 Division level degrades performance for all users.
The composite benefit rates (CBR) for FY23-24 are for planning purposes only; we will not know the final rates until later this fiscal year.
Rates are now included as tabs in the Manage Existing Employees and Job Codes and Fee Remission forms.
Monthly pay rates from FY23 were copied with an increase for individually-planned employees and To Be Hired employees. The increase amounts vary by union; see Release Notes for details.
- Pooled positions were copied with an increase of 4.6% over FY23.
- Dept ID Comp Adjustments were not copied.
The Review HCM Data to Add to Plan task and form help you update your plan with:
Current and future pay rates and distributions for existing employees
- New hires and transfers into your organization
- Employees who have left your organization and should be removed from your plan
Job Aid: Review HCM Data to Add to Plan
CalPlanning users have wanted the ability to navigate easily between summary and detail data in HCP. The new Compensation Drill Through form provides the functionality to view at different levels and to edit at the detail level.
Compensation Drill Through shows a summary of compensation and benefits for each unique intersection of DeptID, fund bucket, and chartfield1. Starting at a summary level, you can drill down to detailed data and make updates as needed. And you can return to the summary level with a single click.
Job Aid: Compensation Drill Through
We recommend that you set your org in CalPlan at any level from Dept ID (L7) up to Department (L4).
When a Dept ID is inactivated, CalPlan moves the plan data to the new mapped entity. The actuals data stays with the inactivated Dept ID. The Dept ID planned for inactivation web page shows the relevant information.
The FY24 Operating Budget has been seeded with Permanent Budget data for these accounts: 71110 General Allocation, 71290 OP Allocations, and 75101 Dept - Initial Transfers.
- The Campus Support accounts beginning with 71 have been updated with the most recent commitments data for open periods in FY23 and FY24.
- Please note that inclusion in the commitments database does not guarantee future funding. All amounts are subject to change.
- Form A Accounts in the 71xxx series will be updated again later this month with Form A data provided by the DFLs for both planning years.
Central Transfers and Commitments - Regents Endowment / FFE
- For account 72210 Regents Endowment / FEE, the FY24 Operating Budget has an increase of 2% over the FY23 actual payouts.
- To learn more about fund performance, see the FY2023-24 Operating Budget Guidelines for potential planner adjustments for information from University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR).
- Central transfers were loaded to new CalPlan-only Chart1 members. These are the Chart1 members used only in CalPlanning; they will not be used for the Actuals journals.
For those of you that submit high level budget data for the two years beyond FY24, we have a new Multiyear Budget Template built into CalPlanning. With this functionality in CalPlanning, we have retired the Excel files that have been used in previous years.
The Multiyear Budget Template is available in the web interface of CalPlan and also in Smart View for Planning. Use the interface that you prefer to enter your budget data for FY25 and FY26.
Office hours to support the use of the Multi-year Budget Template are available via Zoom:
CalPlanning and Smart View Learning Resources
- Self-study course materials describe the concepts and have step-by-step exercises for you to practice reporting, using CalPlan and HCP to enter plan data, Smart View Ad Hoc for CalRptg, and a new course: Smart View for Planning. You can find the links to the self-study materials on the Training page for each course:
- New Course: Smart View for Planning shows you how to enter your plan data using the CalPlan and HCP forms in an Excel interface.
- Office hours are available so that you can ask specific questions about CalPlanning and Smart View. Sign up for a session and indicate the topic for which you are requesting support.
Smart View for Planning
Designed for CalPlanning users who are experienced with the web interface of CalPlan, Smart View for Planning introduces the Excel interface of Smart View for the CalPlan and HCP applications. This will allow you to enter your budget and forecast data from Excel directly into the CalPlan and HCP forms.
Key benefits of the Smart View Excel interface:
- Manage viewing data with Excel functionality: adjust column width, hide/unhide columns, zoom in/out, freeze panes
- Easy data entry: copy/paste, formulas to lookup values from other Excel sheets
- Add supporting calculations and documentation to the right of or below the form
- Share form data with colleagues for review, make updates in Excel and then load those changes to CalPlanning (CalPlan or HCP)
This blended learning course has 2 hours of self-study material that you complete prior to participating in a 1 hour group learning session. Enroll in a class.