We have upgraded CalPlanning and made other infrastructure changes to improve system performance and reliability. These changes also restore compatibility with newer browsers and operating systems. Because this is an upgrade to a new environment, every planner will need to do some first-time setup
- CalPlanning network requirements
- Web browser & operating system compatibility
- First time set-up of web browsers (allow pop-ups)
- Smart View operating system compatibility
- Set default application
- Enable Reporting POV Preview
- Set CalPlan and HCP MyOrg preference
- Copy and paste
CalPlanning Network Requirements
- CalPlanning is only available on the UC Berkeley network or through Citrix.
- When you are away from campus, you must connect with Global Protect (bSecure Remote Access VPN) or access CalPlanning from the Citrix remote desktop
Web Browser & Operating System Compatibility
- We recommend using CalPlanning with Chrome on Windows 10 or through Citrix to receive the best support from the Help Desk and the CalPlanning team.
- Windows users may also connect with Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer is no longer supported for CalPlanning. We have observed significant problems with Internet Explorer and CalPlanning and recommend that you use Google Chrome.
- Mac users may connect with Chrome or Firefox.
- If you experience issues, the Help Desk or CalPlanning team may ask you to try Citrix to troubleshoot whether the problem is with your browser.
First Time Setup of Web Browser (Allow Pop-ups)
You will need to configure your web browser to allow pop-ups from the CalPlanning server. This is needed one time only for each browser that you use to connect to CalPlanning (unless you completely clear/reset your browser). Below are instructions on setting up Chrome and Firefox.
1. Point your web browser to the CalPlanning website:
2. Click on the Pop-up blocked image in the upper right corner of the window.
3. Select Always allow pop-ups and redirects from https://calpln-rptportal.berkeley.edu and click the Done button.
4. Refresh the window that you originally used and to see the CalPlanning login screen.
1. Point your web browser to the CalPlanning website:
2. Click the Options button in the yellow warning window.
3. Select Allow pop-ups for calpln-rptportal.berkeley.edu
4. Click the X in the upper right corner of the window to close it.
5. Refresh the window that you originally used and to see the CalPlanning login screen.
Smart View Operating System Compatibility
The newest version of the Oracle Smart View plug-in is compatible with Windows 10 combined with Excel 2016 or Excel 2019. Mac users need to use Citrix to access Smart View.
To confirm the version of Smart View you have installed:
1. From the Excel menu, select Smart View.
2. Click the down arrow on the Help icon and select About(z)...from the content drop-down list to display the version information.
The version number should be 20.200 or higher.
The build date should be December 11, 2020 or later.
Set Default Application
To set a default application to be available immediately after logging in:
1. From the File menu, select Preferences...
2. Click the General icon in the left panel to open the Default Startup Options.
3. From the content drop-down list, select Application. From the Application drop-down list, select CalPlan (or HCP).
4. Click OK.
5. In order for the preferences to become active, you will need to log off the application. Go back to the File menu and select Exit. After you log off and login again, you will see your default application.
Enable Reporting POV Preview
1. Go to the File menu and select Preferences...
2. Click the Financial Reporting icon in the left panel. In the User Point of View section, select On and then click OK.
3. In order for the preferences to become active, you will need to log off the application. Go back to the File menu and select Exit. After you log off and login again, you will see the reporting POV preview when running reports. This will allow you to change the prompts before the reports appear.
Note: This upgrade restores the feature that stores/remembers the reporting POV that you last used.
Set CalPlan and HCP My Org Preference
In order to see and edit data in CalPlan and HCP, you'll need to set your CalPlan and HCP MyOrg preference. To ensure best performance for all users, please follow these guidelines to limit the amount of data returned from the server.
For CalPlan, it's OK to set your default entity (org) to L3 division or L4 department.
For HCP, please use L5, L6, or L7 (Dept ID).
To set your entity preference
1. Go to the menu and select Navigate\Applications\ Planning and choose either CalPlan or HCP.
2. Click Preferences in the left panel.
3. Click the User Variable Options tab at the top of the User Preferences in the right panel. Enter an Entity in the Selected Member text box.
4. Click the Save button.
5. Click OK from the User preferences have been saved pop up box.
Copy and Paste
After you have copied data, there are two different ways to paste data in CalPlanning on the web:
- The Edit/Paste menu pastes the data into the selected cells.
- The keyboard command opens the Clipboard helper window. Paste the text you copied into this window and click the Paste command button to paste the data into the selected cells.
- Windows: [Ctrl + V]
- Mac: [Cmd + V]
For more ease with copy/paste and more flexibility to work with your budget data offline, consider using Smart View for Planning, the Excel interface to CalPlan and HCP.