This job aid describes the tasks and procedures for working with pooled positions and fee remissions.
There are some types of positions that have fluctuating populations of employees in a similar job function with headcount rotating frequently. Instead of planning for individuals, the Create and Manage HCP Pooled Positions form allow planners to budget compensation expenses for a group of employees using a single position per DeptID - Fund - Chart1 intersection.
There are different categories of pooled positions, each with special considerations.
- Students may be eligible for fee remission based on the percentage of time worked.
- GSR – Resident
- GSR – Non-Resident
- Reader/Tutor – Student
- Non-Ladder Ranked Faculty and other employees may have some employees that are eligible for one benefit rate group, e.g. full and others in a different benefit rate group, e.g. no benefit eligibility.
- Adjunct Professors
- Visiting Professors
- Reader/Tutor – Non-Student
- Summer Salary
- Teacher – UNEX
- Per Diem
Create and Manage HCP Pooled Positions
In this form, you use the Plan Pooled tab to enter the total salary for a pooled position by month for each unique combination of:
- Dept ID
- Account used to calculate benefits
- Chart 1
The rest of the tabs on the form calculate salary expense, benefits, and total compensation; they are read-only.
Multiple Benefit Rates for a Pooled Position
If you have employees in a pooled position that receive different benefits, e.g. full benefits and limited benefits, you will need to enter the salary for each type of benefit on a separate line so that HCP can accurately calculate the benefits and total compensation. This Dept ID will be used to pay some lecturers that receive full benefits and others that receive limited benefits. The screenshot below shows two intersections for the lecturers, one for each benefit rate. The following section, Add an Intersection, describes the procedure to add an intersection when needed.
Add an Intersection
Occasionally, you will need to add an intersection to create a unique combination of Pooled Position, Dept ID, Account, Fund, and Chart 1 that does not already exist.
1. From the Plan Pooled tab, right-click on the Dept ID to which you want to add the position. If there are no pooled positions in the Dept ID, click on any Dept ID; you can change the Dept ID in the dialog box.
2. Select Manage Pooled Position \ Add Pooled Position from the quick menu.
3. The Runtime Prompts – Add Pooled Position Distribution dialog box is populated with the values from the row where you initiated the transaction. Change whatever is needed and be sure to make an entry in all required prompts (indicated with *).
4. Click Launch.
5. Click OK to acknowledge the newly created pooled position distribution. Now you can enter plan data for this intersection.
When you add a pooled position for which fee remission is applicable, you will need to add that position on the Fee Remission task as well.
Students that work in these positions may be eligible for fee remission based on the number of hours worked.
- GSR - Resident
- GSR - Non-Resident
- Reader/Tutor - Student
Planning Level of Detail
As with pooled positions, fee remission planning is done for each unique intersection of:
- Pooled Position
- Dept ID
Fee Remission expenses are currently posted in September for fall semester and in February for spring semester. Planners should enter fee remission expenses in these months.
Enter Total Dollar Amount or Headcount
As a planner, you have a choice of how to enter your budget for fee remission in HCP. You can either enter the:
a) Total dollar amount you plan for fee remission, or
b) Number of headcount and have HCP multiply that by the fee remission rate
Create and Manage Fee Remission Task
The Create and Manage Fee Remission task presents data by pooled position, Dept ID, Fund, Chart1, and Account. In the Account column:
- A5380X – Fee Remission – Amt is the account where you can enter the total dollar amount of fee remission planned for the intersection.
- 5380X – Fee Remission – Plan is presented with a gray background because it is a system calculated value. In this example, the two amounts are the same.
In the case where a planner enters the number of headcount to receive fee remission, HCP multiplies the headcount by the rate for the pooled position, which can be seen in the Fee Remission Rates tab. For FY21 planning that was done prior to this enhancement, the Pooled Headcount account is not included in the Plan Fee Remission tab by default; it must be added by the planner.
Add Fee Remission
You can use the Add Fee Remission function to two distinct reasons:
- You have a new pooled position or a new combination of Dept ID, Fund, and Chart1 for a pooled position that is already planned.
- For an existing pooled position, you prefer to enter headcount and have HCP calculate the fee remission. In this case, you create a fee remission with the same Pooled Position, Dept ID, Fund, and Chart 1 that already exists but you enter the headcount instead of the total dollar amount.
Procedure to Add Fee Remission
1. With your cursor on an intersection that is close to the unique combination of Pooled Position, Dept ID, Fund, and Chart 1 that you want to create, right-click and select Manage Fee Remission \ Add Fee Remission from the quick menu.
2. In the Runtime Prompts – Add Pooled Fee Remission dialog box, enter the headcount.
3. Enter a value for either monthly amount or headcount, but not both, depending on how you want to plan the fee remission.
4. Review all of the other selections and click Launch to add the intersection.
5. Click OK to acknowledge that the new intersection has been created and populated with the headcount entered.